This mixed berry snack crumble cake is the perfect snack or dessert. It’s the perfect mixture of a barry bar and a crumble cake. The berries are sweet but still a little tangy to balance the sweet crumble on top. I love this crumble recipe because it is crispy and crunchy. The cake is moist and rises high enough but still keeping it compressed as those berries sit on top. This makes for a scrumptious dessert.
My family has been enjoying this recipe for a while and we hope you enjoy it too. We have used all raspberries, strawberries, diced peaches, and mixed berries. They have all been equally pleasing.
Now lets get started. This recipe is a little technical so don’t rush or skip steps. This can make your cake flat and under baked.
Mixed berry snack crumble cake
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp melted butter salted sweet cream
- 2 cups frozen berries
- 1 tbsp flour or cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter salted sweet cream butter or unsalted with 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder double acting
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Melt butter in microwave. add in flour and sugar and mix until crumbly. set aside
- Add berries, sugar and cornstarch/flour to a sauce pan and heat berries on medium to de-thawed.
- Keep stirring until bubbling. the heat will thicken the sauce. Cook two minutes. Turn off and let cool
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare an 8 by 8 square baking pan with parchment paper and cooking spray
- In a mixer with paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar on medium for 3 to 4 minutes. We are mixing air into the butter and sugar to help the cake rise.
- Mix eggs and vanilla and mix again
- In a small separate bowl or mixing glass, combine the buttermilk and sour cream, set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and powder together.
- return to your wet ingredients all mixed in your mixer. Turn on low to mix. Add in (while mixer is on) half of the buttermilk and sour cream mix, then add in half the flour mix, let mix for 30 seconds and add in the other half of the buttermilk and sour cream mix and then the other half of flour. This last step will just mix until combined.
- Pour into a prepared baking pan with parchment paper and cooking spray.
- Get cooled berry sauce and pour evenly over top. Do not mix into the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the cake and berries.
- Put cake onto center of preheated oven at 350 degrees. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. The sides of your cake will puff up and get golden brown to medium brown when cooked.